This recipe for vegetarian chickpea shwarmas is quick and easy to make, and even those who do eat meat will like this vegetarian option. It’s packed with flavour and lots of healthy ingredients, making it a perfect lunch or dinner option. Find out how to make it below.
What You’ll Need (serves 4):
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed, drained and patted dry)
- 1 tsp cumin and garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked or normal paprika
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Garlic & Dill Sauce
- ¼ cup hummus
- ¾ – 1 tsp dried dill OR 2-3 tsp fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (or the juice of half a lemon)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp water (to thin)
- Salt and pepper to taste (if you want to add this)
- Anat Shwarmas
- Sliced tomato (optional)
- Sliced red onion (optional)
- Fresh lettuce or parsley, chopped (optional)
How to Make Your Pitas:
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and line a large baking sheet with foil or baking paper.
- In a bowl, toss your rinsed and dried chickpeas with your oil and spices and spread on a baking sheet. Bake them in the oven for 25 minutes or until slightly crispy and golden brown. Once they have cooled down, taste and adjust the seasoning if you need to.
- While your chickpeas are in the oven, you can start on your sauce. Grab another bowl and mix your hummus, lemon juice, dill and garlic together with a whisk. Add enough water to thin your sauce so that it’s pourable. Taste and add more seasoning if required.
- To serve, warm your Anat pitas and fill with your chickpeas, some sauce and any of your vegetables you want to add. Enjoy!